Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Mobile Learning and Course Completion Rates

Interesting question - I would say yes, mobile learning does increase completion rates. I think it provides students an opportunity fill those interstitial moments - the bus ride, waiting for the bus, TV commercials, waiting in line at the store, etc - with little bursts of mobile learning.

Mobile Learning Gets Higher Course Completion Rates?:
I've seen some evidence that learners are more likely to complete mobile learning courses (like the ones created with mLearning Studio) than traditional online courses. I assume this is because it is more convenient and thereby more enjoyable, removing the tedious barrier of having to sit in one place to get it done. Also, learners can do smaller chunks when they have time: waiting in line at the grocery store, at a restaurant, and on and on (think of all of the places we now compulsively pull out our mobile device while we wait).
This reminds me of a trend I think I heard mentioned on the radio (though I can't find a link to it online): more people are reading the news because they can access it on mobile devices.
This all fits into a larger pattern. If it is easier, it's more likely to get done. 'No duh,' you might say. I agree. But it has profound implications for training. Perhaps the ease of access via mobile devices will help us become more likely to be lifelong learners in our careers and other areas of life.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...