Saturday, December 27, 2008

E-Book Sales - a Publisher Speaks

I've posted quite a bit about e-books and mobile e-books, particularly focusing on the Amazon Kindle and the Apple iPhone. 
Most of what I've posted is either opinions of pundits, my own opinion or just news and developments in the e-book and mobile e-book markets. Here's something a bit more tangible - feedback from an actual publisher with titles for sale on both platforms (Kindle and iPhone). Although from a small or niche publisher (50 print titles), this data or feedback is compelling - iPhone sales great and steady; Kindle not so good. Henry Blodget surmises that selling more e-books for the iPhone than the Kindle may have something to do with the price difference ($5.99 versus $9.99). While that probably is a factor, I think a more important determiner is the number of devices. The iPhone has a much larger market penetration than the Kindle - I've heard numbers like 10 million versus 240,000. So it would be interesting to see the actual raw data for PintoBooks e-book sales. For example, selling to 1% of iPhone owners is 100,000 titles sold versus 1% of Kindle owners, which would only amount to 2,400 titles - paltry by comparison. Admittedly, my numbers are just ballparks, but I think you get the idea. iPhone eBook Sales Beating Kindle Sales -- Publisher (AAPL, AMZN)
Jorge Pinto of PintoBooks weighs in on the iPhone's new eBook offering. He says he's selling more eBooks for the iPhone than the Kindle (which may have something to do with the lower price).

Enjoyed reading Dan Frommer's article describing the iPhone as a viable challenger to the Kindle. As a small niche publisher with more that 50 titles in print (all copyright protected), I have been looking at ebooks for a long time. I try to get from my authors / agents electronic rights to use them at the right time.

I currently have 5 titles in Kindle and in the iPhone. Printed editions are between $15.95 and 19.95, in Kindle are $9.99 and in iPhone $5.99 and some in future titles $7.99.
...
Sales in iPhone have being great and steady. Kindle no so good.

I look forward to a larger size iPod or eReader from Apple since I have many copyright works to be published.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...