Thursday, May 31, 2012

"Why Windows 8 Scares Me"

Michael Mace on Fear and Loathing and Windows 8. Very detailed and thorough review of Windows 8.

I was very excited when I saw the first demos of Windows 8. After years of settling for mediocre incremental improvements in its core products, Microsoft finally was ready to make bold changes to Windows, something I thought it had to do to stay relevant in computing. What’s more, the changes looked really nice! Once I’d seen the clean, modern-looking videos of Windows 8, the old Windows looked cramped and a little embarrassing, kind of like finding a picture of the way you dressed when you were a senior in high school (link).

So when Microsoft announced that it was releasing a “consumer preview” of Windows 8, I couldn’t wait to play with it. So far I’ve installed Windows 8 on two computers, a middle of the road HP laptop and a mini tablet PC from Japan. I’ve browsed the web and used Office and even tested our new app, Zekira, on it. My conclusion is that Windows 8 in its current form is very different; attractive in some ways, and disturbing in others. It combines an interesting new interface with baffling changes to Windows compatibility, and amateur mistakes in customer messaging. Add up all the changes, and I am very worried that Microsoft may be about to shoot itself in the foot spectacularly. Even the plain colorful graphics in Windows 8 that looked so cool when I first saw them are starting to look ominous to me, like the hotel decor in The Shining.[Emphasis added – MQ]

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...