Wednesday, February 24, 2010

More on U of Phoenix

My post What Does it Take to Teach for University of Phoenix? generated a few comments 1 from someone who made the cut, and the rest from faculty with similar stories of rejection:

Paradelle
said...
They also want experience teaching online and using online instructional technologies. I found back a few years ago that UoP and also some of the large online programs from traditional colleges were far tougher in their standards for who can teach online than "non-profit" schools. I was impressed by their screening process. I made the cut, but chose not to teach for them.
Mark Viquesney said...
I too was rejected, despite having my masters, 10 years teaching experience as an adjunct, 20 years in the professions that many of the students come from. I was sure my years of experience in the "real" world would be something they wanted. I too got "were not interested in someone with those qualifications and credentials at this time." I was baffled because the other candidates for the job had no teaching experience and worked in the same fields as I had (and yes, one of them did get the job).
kathi said...
I was also rejected. My rejection note said they "were not interested in someone with those qualifications and credentials at this time." I wouldn't classify myself as an academic, but I have numerous clinical certifications, a license and a masters. I've been a consultant and a lecturer since 1984. I've been published. I am on faculty at Rutgers School of SW and Alcohol and Drug Studies. A friend suggested that I apply to teach at UoP, as she has been faculty there for years. Her qualifications to instruct: a BA in Art that she got on line from UoP. She is teaching English. Your comment about being accustomed to, or wanting autonomy gave me a chuckle because it made me realize that rather than be insulted (just a bit, if I'm honest) at being rejected by UoP, I should be honored. Guess you and I are simply too good for them!
While Paradelle (who made the cut) points out that UoP wants people with "experience teaching online and using online instructional technologies," that still doesn't explain the rejection of faculty such as Mark Viquesney above and Joshua Kim (author of the original story) - both experienced teaching online.

1 comment:

Ken Ronkowitz said...

I agree with Josh Kim about the courses at UoP.

This excerpt from a post of mine at http://www.serendipity35.net/index.php?/archives/2059-Transparency-in-Online-Education.html

The courses were highly structured and far more media-rich than the text-based courses many colleges were offering at that time. There was very little "intellectual freedom" for the instructor - the course you were given was what you taught. Don't get creative. Still, there was continuity and consistency in those sections that does not always exist in online programs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...