Friday, June 15, 2012

Amazon E-Books Not Such a Great Deal …

… for authors.

Andrew Hyde analyzes that sales data for his travel e-book. Really shocking – I had no idea! Amazon’s Markup of Digital Delivery to Indie Authors Is Around 129,000 Percent:

So my book about travel came out last week! You should buy it! A pretty exciting time.  I’ve decided to write a few posts covering the launch and lessons I’ve learned.I self published it (wrote, designed, marketed and even did the layout for it) and am really proud of the project.

This post is about the where the sales of the book are coming from, and why Amazon takes 48% of digital book sales.  Surprising eh?  I thought Amazon was the BEST for indie authors, right?

NewImage

Wait, Amazon pays out the worst? What? This can’t be right! They are the best right? Everyone loves them. I love them. I dig a bit deeper and find this little gem:

Avg. Delivery Cost ($) 2.58.

So for every $9.99 book I sell I, the author, pay 30% to Amazon for the right to sell on Amazon AND $2.58 for them to deliver the DIGITAL GOOD to your device. It is free for the reader, but the author, not amazon, pays for delivery.[emphasis added – MQ]

The file itself is under their suggested 50MB cap Amazon says to keep it under at 18.1MB. The book contains upwards of 50 pictures and the one file for Kindle needs to be able to be read on their smallest displays in black and white and their full color large screen Mac app). I’m confused. Amazon stores a ton of the Internet on S3/EC2, they should have the storage and delivery down. If I stored that file on S3/EC2 it would cost me $.01 PER FIVE DOWNLOADS. Hat tip to Robby for that one. Use Amazon to run your website: .01 to download a file. Use amazon to sell your book: $2.58 per download + 30% of whatever you sell.

(Via Daring Fireball)

1 comment:

glenn12 said...

Do you want to learn how to become a Kindle author and supercharge your information product profits quickly and easily? Complete with high quality instructional videos and a follow-along guide containing everything you need to know in order to become a Kindle author.

http://azonkindle.ezhomefunds.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...