Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Life Without Sudo

Interesting thoughts from Jon Stokes – In the Cloud, There is No Sudo:

NewImage

I’m an admin now for three Google Apps for Business accounts, and I’ve had some headaches recently with all three of them. So far, all of my problems seem to have arisen from errors on Google’s end, and as I went ’round and ’round with support for Google, Postini, and Spanning Backup, I got a first-hand reminder of one of the major reasons why so many IT pros are reluctant to jump on the cloud: as the title of this post says, in the cloud there is no sudo. Or if there is a sudo, then you don’t know the password. This is one very good reason why people who are accustomed to being super-users can sometimes panic when faced with the prospect of a public cloud migration.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...