Sunday, September 04, 2011

The Demise of the US Post Office

Steven Greenhouse reporting for the New York TImes – In Internet Age, Postal Service Struggles to Stay Solvent, and Relevant:
The United States Postal Service has long lived on the financial edge, but it has never been as close to the precipice as it is today: the agency is so low on cash that it will not be able to make a $5.5 billion payment due this month and may have to shut down entirely this winter unless Congress takes emergency action to stabilize its finances.

I rarely use the post office anymore - I pay most of my bills online, and use UPS or FedEx to ship important documents. I don't think there's a solution to their problems. It would be painful, but I think they need to make huge cuts in services, costs, and unfortunately staffing.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...