Sunday, February 10, 2008

iPhone versus a Semi

If you haven't Mike Beauchamp's story - which is making it's way around the web - here are the pictures from his flickr photostream and a portion of the story.
As I slowly merged back onto the highway, I kept my eyes open for the remote possibility that the phone had stayed on my car for a longer distance than what I'd searched on foot. Still, no luck. I got up to speed, giving up for good, and about that time (1/4 mile from the gas station) I saw a glimmering light from the lane next to me. As I sped past the object, I knew it was my phone - still alive and working! I slammed on the brakes and pulled over, waiting for the passing cars and trucks to go by so I could run across 2 lanes of 75mph traffic to retrieve my poor phone. As the last pair of headlights approached, the semi got over to the far outside lane because he saw me standing on the side of the road. I knew this was trouble. As I watched helplessly from the shoulder, the semi plowed my phone at full speed, throwing it to the ditch on the other side of the highway. At this point, I figured I'd retrieve it just for the purpose of seeing the crushed iPhone in disarray, mangled and crunched lifeless in the grass. [read more below]

Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.
Much to my surprise, as I approached, I heard the familiar sound of my ringtone -- the iPhone was alive and ringing! As I picked it up and cradled it gently in my hands, I saw the screen displaying my caller ID -- the screen still worked! I slid my finger gently over the answer slide and paused as I held the tattered and torn device to my ear -- my heart must have skipped a beat when I heard my mom's voice at the other end of the phone -- the phone still worked!

I ran back to my car and sat on the side of the road for about 15 minutes inspecting it, testing it, and looking it over -- how in the hell had it survived being trounced by an 18-wheeler at 70mph?!?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...