Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Android versus iPhone

Much like Jason Calacanis, Andre Torrez has grown frustrated with Apple, AT&T, and iPhone app store issues, going so far as to write I've gone from absolutely loving Apple as gatekeeper to my device's software to just flat out hating it. Having received a new, unlocked G1 developer phone, Andre decided to switch for a month. His famous last words ... For now I can say I won't have a problem using it for 30 days. And after 7 days with the G1 ... I give up.

Read the rest at: notes on "android g1 and day 7"
I thought it'd be fun to see what life was like on a different platform but I think I've seen more than enough on this hardware. The device is definitely too slow to get anything done and I have found myself not going to the phone when in a situation where I used to check my mail and catch up on Twitter. I stood in line at the ATM and just didn't bother.

On Saturday my family was here to visit and I found myself reaching for the iPhone to check on a restaurant, map some directions, and to check on an order. Given a choice between the two I just could not keep flipping that thing open knowing there were other perfectly good computers nearby.

I took the G1 into work today but I came home knowing what I had to do. I switched the SIM back to the iPhone. I'm going to keep installing apps and carrying it with me, but the SIM stays in the iPhone. When I get my hands on a Hero I can really put Android to the test. I think the G1 was just not ready to be the hardware for Android. And I'm not ready to interact with people when presented with opportunities to tune them out.
via Daring Fireball

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's all good and fine, but why, literally, make a national case out of it?
As for myself, I too was quite frustrated with the double A's limits put on MY phone so I tried the G1 with Cupcake and found the GUI and OS experience quite refreshing but the hardware was just not for me. So now I finally get exactly what I want - the T-Mobile MyTouch 3G. Its been over a week and it's the Best of both worlds...the FORM factor I like with the OS that I NEED!
Not only the best phone, but my cell bill is 40% lower!!! (AND it fits just right in my pockets, too...and don't believe those rumours about the keypad being too small...remember when my Iphone came out I heard the same things!!!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...