Sunday, December 21, 2008

Gladwell: Deliberate Practice

Great Charlie Rose interview with Malcom Gladwell, discussing his new book Outliers: The Story of Success.I watched the night it aired. Very interesting ideas on performance, success, opportunity and deliberate practice. I love the stories about Bill Gates in 1968 and the early Beatles. I love the line about the Beatles - "rock-n-roll grad school." The Gladwell interview is followed up with an interview with Geoff Colvin, author of a related, but less well-known book Talent Is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else.Really good stuff!





As an aside - I was really disappointed to hear that Charlie Rose had to let some of his staff go because of the down economy. Maybe he should put up a paypal donate button.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting these, Mike. I've been reading Colvin, Ericsson, and others on deliberate practice for a while now; I think the concept has enormous implications for the business world, if only companies will get savvy to it.

By the way, I added a link to this post to a reference page I've been keeping of items about deliberate practice -- see the link in my signature for more. Cheers!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...